Monday, January 4, 2010

My one-year New Testament reading plan

From time to time I'll develop an ambition to read through the entire Bible in a year. But it never lasts long. At least for me, that's just way too much daily reading. I need a more modest goal.

Then I realized that the New Testament is only 260 chapters long, which means that if I start today (Jan. 4) and read just one chapter each weekday, I'll finish the last chapter on Dec. 31. Very tidy. Very manageable.

So I'm going to do it. And I'm going to blog about it, writing a very brief reflection on each chapter as I read it. I'm neither a Scripture expert nor a saint, so I'll try to avoid pontificating and stick, rather, to viewing this as an opportunity for intellectual and (especially) spiritual growth.

A couple of procedural notes: 1) I plan to read the English Standard Version of the Bible, a revision of the Revised Standard Version that is both (as I understand) fairly literal and quite beautiful. 2) I'll be reading the books of the New Testament in their normal order, with the exception that the four Gospels will be interspersed throughout the year; I'm starting with the Gospel of Luke because Luke and the Acts of the Apostles are two volumes of the same extended work, and they stay together this way.

Below is my reading schedule, with the name of each book, the number of chapters it has, and the date it should be finished. I invite anyone who's interested to read along with me and leave your own comments.

UPDATE: The question was asked whether commenters should stick to discussing whatever theme I point out in a given chapter. The answer is no: Feel free to bring up any aspect of a chapter that you find worthy of comment.

Luke - 24 chapters - Feb. 4
Acts - 28 chapters - March 16
Romans - 16 chapters - April 7
Mark - 16 chapters - April 29
1 Corinthians - 16 chapters - May 21
2 Corinthians - 13 chapters - June 9
Galatians - 6 chapters - June 17
Ephesians - 6 chapters - June 25
Philippians - 4 chapters - July 1
Colossians - 4 chapters - July 7
1 Thessalonians - 5 chapters - July 14
2 Thessalonians - 3 chapters - July 19
1 Timothy - 6 chapters - July 27
2 Timothy - 4 chapters - Aug. 2
Titus - 3 chapters - Aug. 5
Philemon - 1 chapter - Aug. 6
Matthew - 28 chapters - Sept. 15
Hebrews - 13 chapters - Oct. 4
James - 5 chapters - Oct. 11
1 Peter - 5 chapters - Oct. 18
2 Peter - 3 chapters - Oct. 21
1 John - 5 chapters - Oct. 28
2 John - 1 chapter - Oct. 29
3 John - 1 chapter - Nov. 1
Jude - 1 chapter - Nov. 2
Revelation - 22 chapters - Dec. 2
John - 21 chapters - Dec. 31

1 comment:

  1. sounds great, I'll try to keep up, thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete